Patients often come to Dr. Dukes seeking relief from excruciating pain and discomfort that they refer to as a ‘pinched nerve’. In reality, a ‘pinched nerve’ is a common term used to refer to a host of issues such as a herniated disc, spinal stenosis, or other underlying issues. The pain can affect your daily life and overall well-being. While there are various treatment options available, Dr. Dukes uses chiropractic care and treatment to help patients find relief naturally without the risks associated with drugs or invasive surgeries. Her goal is to relieve pain and restore function so that patients can resume living life on their terms. If you’d like to know more about ‘pinched nerves’ and learn if chiropractic care might be right for you, read on as we explore the role of chiropractic care in treating ‘pinched nerves’.
Understanding Pinched Nerves
Before delving into how chiropractor care can help alleviate pinched nerve pain, it's essential to grasp what a pinched nerve is and how it can occur.
A pinched nerve, also known as nerve compression or nerve entrapment, happens when excessive pressure or compression is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues, such as muscles, tendons, bones, or cartilage. This compression can disrupt the nerve's normal functioning, leading to pain, tingling, numbness, and weakness in the affected area. Pinched nerves can occur in various parts of the body, but they are most commonly found in the spine, where nerves are vulnerable to compression due to the proximity of vertebrae and discs.
Common Causes of Pinched Nerves
1. Herniated Disc: A herniated or slipped disc occurs when the soft, gel-like center of a spinal disc leaks out and presses against nearby nerves.
2. Spinal Stenosis: This condition involves the narrowing of the spinal canal, causing pressure on the spinal cord and nerves.
3. Bone Spurs: Overgrowth of bone tissue, often due to arthritis, can lead to the formation of bone spurs that press on nerves.
4. Poor Posture: Prolonged poor posture can lead to nerve compression, particularly in the neck and back.
5. Repetitive Movements: Engaging in repetitive motions, such as typing or using hand tools, can cause nerve compression, like carpal tunnel syndrome.
6. Trauma or Injury: Accidents, falls, or sports injuries can lead to pinched nerves in various parts of the body.
Relieve, Restore and Resume
Dr. Dukes is a healthcare professional trained to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions with the goal of relieving pain and restoring function so that patients can resume normal function. She is known for her expertise in spinal adjustments and manipulations. Chiropractic techniques take a holistic approach to health and leverage the body's natural ability to heal itself to restore proper alignment and function to the spine and other musculoskeletal structures. When it comes to pinched nerves, Dr. Dukes relieves nerve compression and restores normal nerve function through natural techniques without the risks associated with drug therapies or invasive surgeries.
Techniques for ‘Pinched Nerve’ Relief
Dr. Dukes employs various chiropractic techniques to alleviate pain and discomfort associated with pinched nerves. These techniques are designed to improve spinal alignment, reduce inflammation, and promote the body's natural healing processes. Here are some common chiropractic approaches:
1. Spinal Adjustments: Spinal adjustments, also known as spinal manipulations, are the cornerstone of chiropractic care. During an adjustment, a chiropractor applies controlled force to specific vertebrae that are misaligned or causing compression on nerves. By realigning the spine, pressure on the affected nerves can be reduced, leading to pain relief and improved function. These adjustments are tailored to each patient's needs, and the chiropractor will choose the appropriate techniques based on the patient's condition and preferences.
2. Decompression Therapy: Decompression therapy is a technique commonly used to relieve pressure on the spine. It involves the use of a traction table or specialized equipment to gently stretch and decompress the spine. This can be particularly effective for patients with pinched nerves caused by conditions like herniated discs or spinal stenosis.
3. Soft Tissue Techniques: In addition to spinal adjustments, chiropractors may use soft tissue techniques to address pinched nerves. These techniques, including massage, myofascial release, and trigger point therapy, can help alleviate muscle tension and reduce the compression on nerves.
4. Lifestyle and Posture Recommendations: Chiropractors often provide guidance on lifestyle modifications and proper posture to prevent further nerve compression. This may include ergonomic adjustments in the workplace, exercises to strengthen and support the spine, and advice on maintaining a healthy weight.
5. Electrical Stimulation: Electrical stimulation therapies, such as TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation), can be used to provide pain relief by stimulating the nerves and muscles in the affected area. This approach may help reduce the perception of pain associated with pinched nerves.
6. Ultrasound Therapy: Ultrasound therapy uses high-frequency sound waves to stimulate deep tissues and increase blood flow. This can help reduce inflammation and promote the healing of damaged tissues, potentially providing relief from pinched nerve symptoms.
7. PEMF Therapy: Pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) are used to reactivate the communication process between the inside and outside of cells, accelerating tissue healing times. PEMF therapies help reduce inflammation and promote the healing of damaged tissues.
Care and Treatment of Specific Conditions
1. Sciatica: Sciatica is a condition characterized by the compression of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back down the legs. Chiropractors often use a combination of spinal adjustments and decompression therapy to alleviate pressure on the sciatic nerve. These treatments can provide relief from the pain, tingling, and numbness associated with sciatica.
2. Cervical Radiculopathy: Cervical radiculopathy occurs when a nerve root in the neck is compressed, leading to symptoms in the arms, shoulders, and hands. Chiropractors can perform targeted adjustments to the cervical spine to relieve nerve compression and improve the patient's condition.
3. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Carpal tunnel syndrome results from the compression of the median nerve in the wrist. Chiropractors may use wrist adjustments and soft tissue techniques to alleviate symptoms and promote proper nerve function.
Proven Safe Treatment
Chiropractic care is generally considered safe when performed by qualified and licensed practitioners. However, as with any medical treatment, there are important considerations to keep in mind:
1. Consultation with a Healthcare Provider: Before seeking chiropractic care for pinched nerve pain, it's advisable to consult with your primary care physician or a specialist to confirm the diagnosis and rule out any underlying medical conditions that may require different treatment approaches.
2. Choose a Licensed Chiropractor: Ensure that the chiropractor you choose is licensed, experienced, and reputable. You can check their credentials, reviews, and references to make an informed decision.
3. Communication: Open communication with your chiropractor is crucial. Be sure to discuss your medical history, the nature of your pain, and any concerns or preferences you may have regarding your treatment.
4. Customized Treatment Plans: Chiropractic treatment plans should be tailored to the individual patient. Your chiropractor should assess your specific condition and design a plan that addresses your unique needs and concerns.
5. Monitoring Progress: As you undergo chiropractic care, it's essential to monitor your progress and communicate any changes in your symptoms with your chiropractor. They can adjust your treatment plan accordingly.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care & Treatment
Chiropractic care offers several potential benefits for individuals seeking relief from pinched nerve pain:
1. Non-Invasive: Chiropractic care is a non-invasive approach to addressing pinched nerves. It does not involve surgery or medications, reducing the risk of adverse side effects.
2. Pain Relief: Many patients experience significant pain relief following chiropractic treatment. By addressing the root cause of nerve compression through spinal adjustments and other techniques, chiropractors can help alleviate pain and discomfort.
3. Improved Function: Chiropractic care aims to restore proper alignment and function to the musculoskeletal system. This can result in improved mobility and function, enabling patients to perform their daily activities with greater ease.
4. Holistic Approach: Chiropractors often take a holistic approach to healthcare, considering your bodies natural ability to heal. This approach promotes long-term overall well-being and health.
5. Drug-Free: Chiropractic care does not rely on medications, making it an attractive option for those who prefer drug-free pain management.
6. Personalized Care: Chiropractors design individualized treatment plans for each patient, taking into account their unique condition and preferences. This personalization can lead to more effective results.
Chiropractic care offers a non-invasive, holistic approach to relieving pain from pinched nerves. Dr. Dukes use a combination of techniques, including spinal adjustments, decompression therapy, soft tissue methods, and lifestyle recommendations, to help alleviate nerve compression, reduce pain, and improve function. Chiropractic care is proven generally safe. In fact, the American College of Physicians (ACP) recommends first using noninvasive, non-drug treatments—such as chiropractic care—before resorting to over-the-counter drugs, prescription drugs or invasive procedures. That’s why Dr. Dukes encourages anyone seeking relief to start with a consultation and learn all treatment options as well as the risks and potential benefits.
Dr. Dukes and her team will help you understand the root cause of your pain and explore the most appropriate treatment options for your condition. Get back to living your best life. Call (813) 752-2525 to schedule a consultation. Learn how Chiropractic care will make a difference in the quality of your life.
Pulsed-Electromagnetic Field therapy provide numerous benefits for chronic pain sufferers. Explore the science behind PEMF therapy, the benefits it provides, and how Dr. Dukes is using this cutting-edge technology to help their patients achieve optimal health.
Learn more is this 6-minute read from Dr. Dukes.
What is PEMF Therapy?
PEMF therapy involves the use of electromagnetic fields to stimulate the body's natural healing processes. It works by emitting low-frequency electromagnetic waves that penetrate deep into the tissues, muscles, and bones of the body. These waves help to improve cellular function, reduce inflammation, and promote overall wellness.
The concept of using electromagnetic fields for therapeutic purposes dates back to the early 20th century. However, it wasn't until the late 20th century that scientists began to understand the potential benefits of PEMF therapy for various health conditions. Today, PEMF has become a popular treatment modality among chiropractors and other healthcare professionals.
How Does PEMF Work?
Our cells require an adequate supply of energy to function optimally. When cells are exposed to PEMF, the electromagnetic fields create a gentle electrical current that stimulates the production of energy within the cell. This increased energy production helps to improve cellular function and supports the body's natural healing processes.
Additionally, PEMF therapy has been shown to increase blood circulation, reduce inflammation, and enhance the body's detoxification processes. By addressing the root causes of pain and discomfort, PEMF therapy can provide long-lasting relief for a wide range of health issues.
Key Benefits of PEMF Therapy in Chiropractic Care
What to Expect During a PEMF Therapy Session
A typical PEMF therapy session at a chiropractic clinic will begin with an assessment of your medical history and current health concerns. Based on this information, your chiropractor will determine the appropriate PEMF settings and treatment plan for your specific needs.
During the treatment, you will lie down on a comfortable table or mat while the PEMF device is placed near the targeted area of the body. The therapy is painless, and most patients report feeling a gentle pulsing sensation during the session. Treatment times can vary depending on the individual's needs, but most sessions last between 20 to 60 minutes.
PEMF Therapy Offered Through a Chiropractor is a Better Choice
Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy is a proven effective treatment offering patients drug-free, surgery-free treatment from various ailments, including chronic pain, inflammation, and poor circulation. Because of this, Chiropractors worldwide have embraced it’s use and helped countless patients find relief. Many patients have found more effective treatment when choosing PEMF therapy provided by a chiropractor for a variety of reasons such as:
1. Comprehensive and Holistic Approach
Chiropractors are known for their holistic approach to treating health issues, focusing on the whole body rather than just the symptoms. By incorporating PEMF therapy into their practice, chiropractors can address the root causes of pain and discomfort while also improving overall wellness. This comprehensive approach allows chiropractors to tackle multiple health issues simultaneously, resulting in more efficient and effective treatment plans.
2. Expertise in Musculoskeletal Conditions
Chiropractors specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions, making them well-equipped to identify the underlying causes of pain and discomfort. With their extensive knowledge of the human body's structure and function, chiropractors can accurately pinpoint the areas where PEMF therapy will be most beneficial. This level of expertise ensures that patients receive targeted, customized treatment plans designed to address their specific needs.
3. Integration with Chiropractic Techniques
Receiving PEMF therapy from a chiropractor allows for seamless integration with other chiropractic techniques, such as spinal adjustments, soft tissue manipulation, and rehabilitative exercises. This combination of treatments can enhance the effects of PEMF therapy, leading to faster and more significant improvements in patients' health and well-being.
4. Personalized Treatment Plans
Chiropractors take the time to assess each patient's medical history, current health concerns, and individual needs before developing a personalized treatment plan. By offering PEMF therapy as part of their services, chiropractors can create customized plans that incorporate this innovative treatment alongside other chiropractic techniques, ensuring the most effective and comprehensive care possible.
5. Ongoing Support and Monitoring
When receiving PEMF therapy through a chiropractor, patients benefit from ongoing support and monitoring throughout their treatment journey. Chiropractors can regularly assess patients' progress and make adjustments to their treatment plans as needed, ensuring optimal results. This level of personalized care and attention is not always available through other healthcare providers or when using at-home PEMF devices.
6. Prevention and Maintenance
Chiropractors focus not only on treating existing health issues but also on prevention and maintenance to ensure long-term wellness. By incorporating PEMF therapy into their practice, chiropractors can help patients maintain optimal health and prevent future issues related to chronic pain, inflammation, and poor circulation. This proactive approach sets chiropractic care apart from other treatment methods and healthcare providers.
Hope for Chronic Pain Relief
PEMF therapy is an innovative and powerful treatment option embraced by Dr. Dukes and other chiropractors for its potential to improve patient outcomes. By addressing the root causes of pain, inflammation, and poor circulation, PEMF therapy can help patients achieve a higher level of wellness and overall health. If you are interested in exploring the benefits of PEMF therapy, consult with a qualified chiropractor who offers this cutting-edge treatment.
There is hope for chronic pain. Contact Dr. Dukes today to learn more about PEMF, and experience real freedom from pain. Call 813.752.2524 and schedule your examination. Learn if PEMF therapy is right for you.
Some people suffering from back pain choose to ignore the pain and hope it gets better on its own while others seek relief through various treatments. One of the most effective forms of therapy for back pain is chiropractic care. Chiropractic adjustments involve drug-free, non-invasive hands-on techniques to reduce pain and improve mobility. There are countless benefits of treating back pain with chiropractic care. Here are the top-5 benefits:
Low Risk / High Reward
Chiropractic care is a non-invasive treatment option for back pain. This means that you do not have to undergo risky surgery or take dangerous drugs to relieve your pain. Instead, chiropractic adjustments involve the use of gentle and precise movements to realign the spine and reduce pressure on the nerves. Not does this approach eliminate the need for medication but can also prevent the risk of complications from surgery. Because of this, the AMA recommends Chiropractic Care as a primary treatment method for back pain.
Chiropractic care is a highly personalized form of treatment. Your chiropractor will assess your condition and develop a customized treatment plan based on your specific symptoms and medical history. This personalized approach ensures that you receive the most effective treatment for your back pain. Additionally, chiropractors offer ongoing evaluations of the effectiveness of your treatment and will adjust your care plan accordingly, making sure you get the best treatment for your needs.
Improved Range of Motion
Back pain can limit your ability to move freely and comfortably. Chiropractic care can help improve your range of motion by correcting spinal misalignments. As your spine is adjusted, pressure is taken off the nerves, allowing your body to function more effectively. Additionally, chiropractics can work to reduce muscle tension around the spine, reducing stiffness and increasing mobility.
Chronic Pain Relief
If you suffer from chronic back pain, chiropractic care can provide significant relief. A study published in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics revealed that chiropractic care offered greater benefits for people with chronic low back pain compared to other conventional therapies. The study found that chiropractic care resulted in significant improvements in pain, disability, satisfaction with care, and quality of life.
Chiropractic care takes a holistic approach to healing, which means it promotes the body's natural ability to heal itself. Rather than simply masking symptoms, chiropractic care addresses the root cause of back pain, allowing the body to heal naturally. This promotes healing from within your body, allowing you to avoid the use of medication and invasive procedures.
Back pain can be debilitating, affecting your overall quality of life. Chiropractic care is a non-invasive, holistic, and personalized option that has helped countless people reduce and even eliminate their pain.
If you or your loved one are suffering, reach out to Dr. Dukes. She will invest the time to determine your needs and work with you to create a treatment plan that will provide you the greatest benefits. Remember that chiropractic care is safe and effective, and it can help you get back to doing the things you love, pain-free. Schedule your consultation today. (813) 752-2524
PLANT CITY, FL, June 6, 2023 /Newswire/ -- Dukes Chiropractic Health Clinic is proud to provide in-depth health tips that help patients learn about health conditions relating to the spine and what action they should take to prevent or treat them.
Dr. Dukes and her staff feel that when patients fully understand their health challenges, treatment options, risks and processes, the potential for better health outcomes increases profoundly. That’s why she gives her time every month to write articles to help people suffering learn what they can do to help prevent or treat neuromusculoskeletal conditions. People visiting Dukes Chiropractic Health Clinic, P.A. can learn about a wide variety of topics such as:
Dr. Dukes and her a team of healing professionals focus on communicating and educating through every patient interaction from evaluation, diagnosis, treatment and through follow-up care.
Her patients agree. Tony Mathis proclaimed, “I do believe my life is extended in comfort from my treatments. I was literally a mess, very miserable with my body deterioration. The love and care received is just what I needed. I recommend Dukes for anybody in need of care for their physical body. I love the Christian culture that's throughout the office and Staff. Last but not lest Dr Dukes is one of the World's most knowledgeable physicians. My wife and son are also patients. Thank you God for Dukes!!!”
“Response has been fantastic. “Core website traffic is up 36.2% and the conversion rate is up 19.74%. We are so happy to be able to be a part of the success.” Reported Chris Lowers, President of Grey Partners, the digital marketing firm responsible for creating the content and managing the SEO.
ABOUT DUKES CHIROPRACTIC HEALTH CLINIC: Dr. Brenda Dukes D.C. DACAN, is a leading healthcare provider specializing in Chiropractic Care and neurology. Practicing since 1985, she focuses her efforts on diagnoses, treats and helps patients prevent mechanical conditions affecting the neuromusculoskeletal system through Chiropractic adjustments that improve nervous system function and spinal health, allowing patients to eliminate or reduce pain, improve mobility and get back to living life on their terms.
The people of the greater Plant City Florida area appreciate Dr. Brenda Dukes and prove it by voting her ‘The Best’ chiropractor’ in the Plant City area over 8 times. And, Dukes Chiropractic Health Clinic is a top-rated healthcare provider boasting hundreds of positive reviews like this one from Healthgrades, “Amazing doctor and staff. Appreciate their patient-centered, kindness, and dedicated approach to care.”
1 (813) 752-2524
SOURCE: Dukes Chiropractic Health Clinic
RELATED LINKS: https://www.dukeschiropractichealthclinic.com/health-tips.html
If you’re focused on living your best life, Dr. Dukes can help you stay on track and keep wellness your families daily practice. Check out 11 reasons why patients love visiting Dr. Dukes and have chosen to make Chiropractic Care a foundational element of their personal wellness:
Helping you better understand what is causing your health challenges is key to successful treatment and recovery programs. Dr. Brenda Dukes and her team focus on communicating and educating you.
2. BETTER OUTCOMES WITH LESS RISK
Patients feel more comfortable knowing that chiropractic care doesn’t involve dangerous drugs nor invasive procedures. In fact, many physicians and surgeons first refer patients for chiropractic care before moving onto higher-risk choices such as opioids or surgery.
3. THINKING MORE CLEARLY
Enhanced cognitive function: Chiropractic care may help improve cognitive function by reducing stress and inflammation in the body, which can have a positive impact on brain health.
Sure patients feel great when they leave the office but the real success is how they're able to get back to living life on their terms everyday.
5. WONDERFUL SLEEP
If you've ever suffered from irregular sleep you understand why people love to regular visits with Dr. Dukes. Here treatments help improve blood flow in the nervous system so you can get back to regular sleep patterns.
6. REDUCED STRESS AND ANXIETY
Many people love chiropractic care since it reduces stress, and can also help with anxiety.
7. IMPROVED DIGESTION
You may not consider the chiropractor as the first place to go for tummy troubles, but Chiropractic adjustments may help improve digestive function by reducing nerve interference to the digestive system.
8. BETTER PERFORMANCE
Whether it’s the sports field or the stage, people love chiropractic care because it improves performance. Chiropractic care has various benefits, including improving flexibility, range of motion, and endurance. No matter what your active lifestyle looks like, chiropractic care keeps your body running like a well-oiled machine.
9. SOOTHES HEADACHES
At some point or another, we all have dealt with headaches. However, chronic headaches or migraines are the worst kinds. Chiropractic care helps alleviate migraines and headaches by improving spinal function and relieving stress on the body.
10. BOOSTED IMMUNE SYSTEM
People love chiropractic care because it doesn’t just strengthen the immune system, it also helps with allergies.
11. WELLNESS AND PREVENTION
Stay strong and flexible through chiropractic care. It's a foundational step in your health and wellness.
If you're not feeling your best, reach out to Dr. Dukes. Schedule your consultation and learn how she can help you get back to living life on your terms everyday. (813) 752-2524
Are you searching for a non-invasive way to reduce or eliminate your chronic pain? If so, Dr. Dukes has helped patients with a variety of conditions through pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) technology. PEMF is a form of therapy that uses magnetic pulses to help reduce inflammation and improve circulation in the body. A number of studies have found that this technology can be helpful in relieving pain, especially for those suffering from conditions like fibromyalgia, arthritis, and sciatica. Let’s take a look at how PEMF works and why it might be beneficial for women seeking relief from chronic pain.
Pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) technology works by using an electrical device to generate pulsating magnetic fields which are applied directly to the skin. These pulsating fields stimulates your cells, helping reduce inflammation and improving circulation. Dr. Dukes has found this to be a tremendous tool for pain relief with most patients also reporting increased overall energy level and a boosted sense of wellbeing.
PEMF therapy is generally considered safe and effective. It's not for everyone. Certain types of medical implants may not be compatible with magnetic fields. Dr. Dukes will discuss potential risks along with the benefits prior to any treatment. PEMF therapy should only be performed as directed by a trained and experienced healthcare practitioner.
Helping you better understand what is causing your health challenges is key to successful treatment and recovery programs. If you're struggling to find relief, ask Dr. Dukes is pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) technology is right for you. She'll take the time to discuss potential treatments without having to resort to dangerous prescription medications nor invasive treatments like surgery. That's why you'll find that Dr. Brenda Dukes and her team focus on communicating and educating throughout every course of treatment. Experience the difference for yourself.
Call today! (813) 752-2524 Schedule your consultation with Dr. Dukes and experience the difference for yourself.
Hopefully you've never been forced to think about just how vital spine health is. Everyday activities like playing with your kids, shopping, standing, sitting, sneezing and even reaching to pick up a piece of paper can turn into major ordeals when your spine is out of sorts. Here are a few tips to keep your spine in tip-top shape:
Following these common-sense tools combined with regular adjustments is powerful preventive medicine. Call Dr. Dukes. Schedule your consultation and learn how chiropractic care can keep you living life on your terms. Call today (813) 752-2524.
Your mobility means so much more than walking. Learn how your spine can help—and hurt—your independence.
Seemingly simple acts of body movement, such as putting on your shoes, suddenly become painfully complicated when your spine isn't working properly. Your spine is what allows your body to maintain stability as you move.
A healthy, strong spine is essential to your mobility, just as neck and back issues can take away your independence. It's easy to take mobility for granted.
What Is Mobility?
Simply put, mobility is your ability to move when and how you want. It’s not just about how well you can participate in sports or exercise — it's how easily you perform simple daily tasks, like putting on your clothes, gardening or preparing meals. For most of us mobility declines with age but, how much it declines is a choice that most of us can influence. Mobility requires strength, balance, stamina, and coordination—all things that we can maintain as we age through wellness plans that include stretching, exercise and other healthy habits.
Mobility’s Multi-Faceted Effects on Health
What might start off as a minor inconvenience can spiral. The decline of your mobility sets off a domino effect of issues that affect your physical, mental and emotional health that is often associated with increased risk of depression and reduced quality of life. Back or neck pain causes many patients to no longer be able to enjoy thier favorite activities or cut time with friends or family short because they’re in too much pain. Fortunately, mobility loss can be prevented—and, in some cases, reversed.
Safe, Effective Treatment Options
When you have back or neck pain, movement may be that last thing you want to think about. However, stretching, exercise, chiropractic care, physical theray and massage are essential for good spine health. These non-invasive drug-free approaches are among the best things you can do for your long-term spine health and preservation of your mobility. In fact, the American College of Physicians recently released an update to its low back pain treatment guideline that recommends first using non-drug treatments, such as spinal manipulation, for acute and chronic low back pain. A systematic review published in the Journal of the American Medical Association also supports the use of spinal manipulative therapy as a first-line treatment for acute low back pain.
Each of us will experience some mobility loss with age which is why it's so important to recognize that your body was made to move. Live life to the fullest. Protect your mobility. Call Dr. Dukes. She'll listen to you, learn about your needs and goals. Then help you define a preventative wellness plan or find relief if you're already hurting.
Reach out to Dr. Dukes today! (813) 752-2524
Just like clockwork, the start of school harbors a rise in Mom's calling my office for help managing back and neck pain. I hear them say, ‘I’m just so busy I must have done too much again’.
It’s easy for Mom's to let good habits fall by the wayside when you’re focusing on your kids health. Your health and wellness is important too!
Being mindful is one of the easiest ways to stay feeling your best. Keep these tips in mind:
1.) Drink plenty of water and avoid processed foods. This can be a tall order for busy mom's but it's so important to your wellness.
2.) When lifting, use your whole body by bending hips, knees and ankles to lift with your legs. Keep little ones close to your body and avoid twisting.
3.) Proper posture is vital self-care. Keep your spine straight by keeping your shoulders high whether you are sitting your standing.
4.) Listen to your body. Yes, regular exercise is important but so is rest. It's okay to miss a workout occasionally. Sometimes replacing your HITT workout with yoga or a massage can be better choice.
Building healthy habits is the best way to stay healthy. Dr. Dukes can help you find what works best for you to feel your best and stick to it - for life.
Make health your top priority, call Dr. Dukes at (813) 752-2524 and schedule your wellness consultation today.
Back pain in children is incredibly common. Often it's as simple as constipation. But, if pain persists, you should seek professional advice.
Every year when school starts, Dr. Dukes fields calls from parents concerned about their child reporting back pain. Dr. Dukes advises that, “Quick spurts of back pain aren’t uncommon for children. Often, constipation is the culprit. However, if pain is persistent in a focused area, limits physical activity, affects sleep quality, is associated with fevers, chills or weight loss - it's time to get checked out.”
The six most common back pain complaints are related to:
1. Overuse due to sudden increase in physical activity.
2. Stress fractures
3. Overloaded and ill-fitting backpacks
4. Scoliosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoliosis)
5. Scheuermann's Kyphosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheuermann's_disease)
6. Spinal Disc Herniation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_disc_herniation)
Occasional back pain can be common in children, especially if they are age 10 and younger. Persistent back pain is not.
If your child is experiencing any of these issues, Dr. Dukes recommends scheduling an appointment as soon as possible. Our team is dedicated to effectively treating kids in a way that will help keep their growing spines safe and healthy for years to come.
Reach out. Dr. Dukes can help. Call 816-752-2524 and schedule your consult today.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.